Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Journal 7 PLN

NETS 5

As a special education teacher my PLN consists of other special education teachers, advocacy groups, people involved with special needs students and parents of special needs children that I have met and follow on twitter.com, diigo.com and Educator’s PLN forums. By following other special education teachers on twitter.com and diigo.com, I can stay current on special education strategies and technologies that my PLN tweets about or bookmarks on diigo.com. I can also stay current by reading forum posts and watching online videos from Educator’s PLN forum. Being apart of twitter, diigo and Educator’s PLN I am participating in a global learning community, exploring creative various teaching strategies and applications of technology for student learning. With the participation of those technologies and community building I am able to exhibit how to infuse technology in my learning, I am able to help my peers learn from what I tweet, bookmark and post on twitter.com, diigo.com and Educator’s PLN.


A personal learning network (PLN) is a group of people connecting and interacting about with similar interests.  As a special education teacher my PLN consists of other special education teachers, advocacy groups, people involved with special needs students and parents of special needs children that I have met on the internet.  I discuss and share knowledge with my peers through the use of Diigo.com, Twitter.com and discussion forums such as The Educator’s PLN.  I also share information to my PLN through my blog.

I use Twitter.com to connect with my network by the use of hashtags.  Hashtags are used in Twitter.com to filter information during searches.  When searching for a topic or group, I would search for a specific hashtag.  In my case I searched for SPEDCHAT.  Searching for SPEDCHAT led me to discovering peers who are in the special education community.  I follow their tweets and read what they have to say.  I also found out that there is an online discussion on Tuesdays at 5:30 for regarding special education.  People within the field of special education will post on Twitter.com questions and comments pertaining to the topic during the discussion.   By searching SPEDCHAT at 5:30 on Tuesday I was able to follow along to the current discussion regarding special education.  Tuesday August 2nd’s discussion was on inclusion, meaning including special needs students into a general education classroom.  The discussion flowed very quickly and it was hard to keep up, but also informative.  Of course there are disagreements here and there because opinions are opinions.  Some links were posted and information regarding various programs was out there.

Diigo.com is an online bookmarking website.  To bookmark a website means to save that website address so you can access it later.  You are able to save all your bookmarks online and have them accessible to any computer with Internet access.  All Internet browsers can bookmark/save websites, the unique thing about Diigo.com is that it saves it online and makes your bookmarks available to your circle of friends, or PLN.  The websites that you save/bookmark are tagged by you and then saved, to tag a bookmark means to assign keywords to a specific saved website.  These keywords are sometimes universal, so if other people were to be interested in topic, they can search Diigo.com, for a keyword/tag and websites pertaining to those topics would come up.  You can follow people on Diigo.com, just like Twitter.com and watch the various types of websites they save.   I choose to follow people who saved and shared websites that pertain to special education.   I currently follow my esteem technology professor, various awesome classmates such as Amy S and mringerson.   I searched for any websites with the special education keyword and followed those who are in the field and post up a lot of special education articles and websites.  With my search I found and followed a technology professor at University of Conneticut, David Warlick (citation machine creator),  and two other special education teachers

A discussion forum I chose to join was Educators PLN.  This website has a plethora of information.   It has links to educator’s blog posts, Twitter.com, Diigo.com’s and Youtube videos.  There is a lot of information available on this website.  I read a blog post on stepping outside the comfort zone.  This commentary was regarding the older teacher’s reluctance in moving forward.  Standing still and sticking to the blackboard and chalk.  Teaching with old methods and being content.  The author urges teachers to keep on moving forward, move with the advancement of technology, learn how to incorporate technology into the classroom, and step outside the comfort zone.  It was very interesting, urging the older generation to be with the new generation, because it is really about the students, not about your own comfort zone.  Educators PLN is a great resource to find other teachers in the same boat as you.  You are not alone with some of your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment