Sunday, August 7, 2011

Journal 6 Student Voices for Change


NETS 5


One of their publications was Learning and Leading with Technology, this publication has many articles on technology in the classroom, I read, summarized and actively thought about the articles on twitter, internet usage, augmented reality and the future of technology in the classroom. By actively thinking about the article and strategies I tried to imagine how I would use it in my classroom. I posted my reflection on the article on my blog to share and gain insight from others within my network. Becoming a member of iste.com and reading as well as reflecting on articles on technology in the classroom helps keep me a life long learner. I am up to date on current research and practice, i make regular and effective use of digital journal articles to help support student learning.


Mille, S. (2011). Student voices for change. Learning and leading with technology,38(8), Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-and-leading/digital-edition-june-july-2011.aspx

When a person hears about a classroom with a 1:1 laptop to student ratio one envisions a technologically advance classroom in Japan. When reading about a school in Iowa starting a 1:1 laptop to student ratio I was blown away. Reading about how much the students are learning and how much they are creating with the availability of technology was amazing. The article highlights some students who presented at a legislative meeting and blew away the congressmen. The students as young as 12 all the way up to 17 all had their own take on technology and showed how much they’ve grown academically through access of computers. Collaboration with students all over the world helped these students become more culturally aware of their surroundings and gave them voices in their own education. Slowly becoming leaders of their own education.

Q1: If you had a 1:1 ratio computer to student ratio, how would you use it?

I would not use laptops in my class, this would not be conducive to my classroom, howeverI would rather use ipads. They are way more portable and useful to my population of students. I would use the Ipads for communcation, schedules and rec leisure.

Q2: How would you prepare your students to show some members of congress that ipads are useful?

I would have a few of my students go to a meeting and just be social, use their ipads to say hi and compliment them on their appearance. Showing that students with moderate to severe disabilities can be socialized with the general population and with a voice they are able to communicate.




No comments:

Post a Comment