Sunday, August 7, 2011

Journal 8 Find the Truth about the Pacific Tree Octopus

NETS 5

One of their publications was Learning and Leading with Technology, this publication has many articles on technology in the classroom, I read, summarized and actively thought about the articles on twitter, internet usage, augmented reality and the future of technology in the classroom. By actively thinking about the article and strategies I tried to imagine how I would use it in my classroom. I posted my reflection on the article on my blog to share and gain insight from others within my network. Becoming a member of iste.com and reading as well as reflecting on articles on technology in the classroom helps keep me a life long learner. I am up to date on current research and practice, i make regular and effective use of digital journal articles to help support student learning.


Ferrell, K. (2011). Find the truth about the pacific tree octopus. Learning and leading with technology,39(1), Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-and-leading/digital-edition-august-2011.aspx

This article is about teaching students how to identify the proper and factual sources for research. The author asks students to search google for a tree octopus and explorers. The tree octopus was a hoax created by a few silly individuals. The edited photos of an octopus in the trees and created a realistic scientific name for it. They created a website seeking for help to preserve the endangered species. The website was very elaborate and convincing, if only looked at that one source. The author posted back a few of the more ridiculous statements made by his students. The lesson was not about finding information about the octopus but to find good sources, multiple sources and learn how to identify the right source.

Would I use the tree octopus lesson to help my students learn about the internet?

Yes I would use this lesson to help them learn how to do research online, what the different .coms mean and which one are more reliable, .edu, .gov., .org.

What other lesson can I pair up with this one?

Similar to the old adage of measure twice cut once, I would use this lesson as an example to always fact check things online. Check where your sources are from and fact check with other sources on the same subject. Just help to ingrain into students to slow down a bit look at your info and make sure its good.

No comments:

Post a Comment